Where is the Ocoee Region?
“In Tennessee the narrow strip of Cherokee territory secured by the New Echota Treaty was established into what was termed a surveyor’s district by an act of the General Assembly of Tennessee passed October 18, 1836. The territory was called the Ocoee District. Though the present counties of Bradley and Polk comprise much the larger portion of the Ocoee District, that portion of Hamilton County lying south of the Tennessee River and a strip along the eastern boundary of Monroe County were included in the District.
Beginning at the point where the Tennessee River enters the state of Alabama, the boundary of the Ocoee District follows the Tennessee River up to the mouth of the Hiwassee River and thence up the Hiwassee River to near the present site of Delano. From there the boundary line follows a northeasterly direction along the divide between the waters of the Tellico and Hiwassee Rivers to near Tallassee on the Little Tennessee River. It follows this river up to the North Carolina line, then follows South and west along the Tennessee state line back to the starting point on the Tennessee River.
The survey of the Ocoee District was made in 1837 by John B. Tipton, surveyor-general, assisted by John C. Kennedy, J.C. Tipton, T.H. Callaway, J.F. Cleveland, and John Hannah. The surveyors first established a basis or dividing line near the center of the district. The basis line ran from a point on the Hiwassee River at Calhoun south twenty degrees, then west to the south boundary of the state. Ranges six miles in width were then run out in the district and were numbered progressively from one to seven both east and west form the basis line.”
The History of Bradley County
History Committee, Bradley County Chapter East Tennessee Historical Society
1976, pg 40-41